Saturday, November 24, 2012

Black Friday Thoughts

I'm not normally a participant in Black Friday shopping, but I do have to confess that I did go shopping today. I dropped my daughter off at the grocery store where she works and, while there, went inside and bought some paper towels. I'd run out of paper towels, and we needed a grocery store receipt to get a discount on gas for my car. Win/win.

So, while I did shop on Black Friday, I didn't go out for special deals that were "Black Friday only." My reasons are not noble; I'm just too lazy to get up early and fight a crowd. If I weren't so lazy, I might go to save a few dollars. My warm bed, especially on the day after Thanksgiving (which I spend on my feet cooking) is too comfortable to abandon for a shopping trip.

One thing I noticed about this special shopping day were some negative comments on Facebook and a few other social networking sites concerning the Black Friday shoppers. I can understand the negative comments; I watch the news.  People are doing crazy things for a deal on something. I know the value of a deal. I'm on the tail end of rearing eight kids - believe me, deals have fed them many times! I have two teenage boys - and all you moms of teens know it's nearly impossible to keep food in the house with growing, active teenage boys around.

Sometimes the only way people can afford a certain item is to get it on a super-great deal. I've been there, done that.

As I watched the news stories about Black Friday and saw all the masses of people clamoring for the sale items, only one thought crossed my mind.....and I don't mean to be clichè......but I thought "What would Jesus do?"  Whenever Jesus saw masses of people, He was instantly moved with compassion. Compassion ruled His heart when He walked on this earth and He was moved to tell them of His love for them, to reach them with the Living Water which would satisfy their thirst forever. And they did, and do, thirst. (Hence, they shop.)

He came into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world, through Him, might be saved.

The world is already condemned; they need to know about the Savior.

We will, no doubt, see masses of people clamoring for sale items again and again. No need to condemn them, but real need to pray for them.

As we close out this Black Friday, those are my thoughts.
~Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment